My one-garment-a-month streak continues. I did finish this one in January, but it took a little longer to get the photos. Anyway, here it is!
This is the Jasper sweatshirt by Paprika Patterns. It was hugely popular when it came out several years back, but if you’ve been here for awhile, you know that I very rarely get to a pattern until the train has been gone for some time! I’ve actually had the fabric (a rayon sweatshirting that is so soft) and pattern for around five years, as I’d seen it as a pattern that was hackable for nursing. I just didn’t manage to get to it until well after that baby (and the next) was born. I think it worked out for the best, though, as then I’d feel like I’d have to alter it to remove the zippers and this way has more longevity.
I made a size 7 for the top, graded up in the hips. I don’t know exactly how far, as the 7 was the largest size in my printed pattern and I just used the measurements between that and the next size down as a guideline for how much to add, but it worked out mostly well. I forgot to factor that in to the wedge between the welt pocket opening and the side panel, so it’s got a bit of a strange shape there, but let’s just say that’s a design detail. The fit is good, and that’s the most important thing here.
I’m trying to get my stash down to a more manageable level, which is likely going to take a long time if I keep averaging one garment a month. (It’ll be easier when the kids are older, right?) So I pulled out some leftovers to finish this. The pocket lining is from a Plantain tee that I made several years ago, and the button was salvaged from one of my old jackets that I outgrew. I still have two or three of those left, I think, so hopefully I can come up with a worthy jacket at some point!
Overall, the instructions were easy to follow. I’ll admit that I was skeptical of how the pocket would work out, likely since all of my sewing time doesn’t happen until at least 8:30 after a long day of homeschooling and everything else. My brain is kind of fried by then. But it came together nicely, and I’m happy to have a bright, cozy new thing to wear during the rest of the winter.
I haven’t forgotten about the wardrobe chains, and I’m hoping that my next project will be a good start to the next one. I just need to get it traced and cut so I can start! Which is the part that always delays me.