Just in time for early spring…

(Note: I wrote this post before the the pandemic stated shutting everything down, I just hadn’t had a chance to add the pictures. My computer time is currently very limited, as my husband is working from home, so I’m just doing the best I can to finish this on my phone. Stay well, everyone. (And stay home!)

I finished a snuggly flannel shirt that I may or may not get to wear again this season. (It’s been hovering in the 50s and 60s since the beginning of the month!)

The details: I cut a size 10 in the bust, with a DD cup size, and graded to a 14 in the hips. I’m having to accept that after 3 babies, this is just my new normal! I also added an extra inch of length to the sleeves, as has been my normal for pretty much my entire sewing life. I added an extra button to the placket, since 3 just was not enough for where I had to center it. Aside from that and the plaid matching, which was a minor fail on one sleeve, it was pretty straightforward. I do wish that I’d put the pocket lower, it looks oddly high on me (thanks, nursing and gravity), but I’m not bothered enough to take the time to move it.

The pattern is the Mila shirt, from Itch to Stitch, since I’m apparently fangirling over her patterns like I used to do with Sewaholic back in the day. It’s made from a rather cozy flannel plaid, I think maybe a Kaufman, but I’m not 100% sure since this was a Christmas gift from my mom during the massive stash build of 2018. I’m much more pleased with how my size guesstimate turned out here, since this was also a shirt that I cut out while pregnant.

I was really happy with her instructions overall. The bottom of the placket was a bit fiddly, and probably would have worked better in a thinner fabric, but the burrito yoke was magic. I’ve tried the technique before, but it worked so much better on this one. So much so, that I’m reusing the instructions to add a facing on my current project! I also really like how the collar turned out, and I’m glad that I used the sleeve tabs (also to be reused on the current project), as I think that will give me a better chance of wearing it into the spring. Really, my only true regret with this project is that it took me 6 weeks to get through it all, but that can’t be helped with my current limits. I think that once I get through the projects that I’m currently making, I’m going to have to seriously consider sewing a season ahead of the current one. Depending on my wardrobe needs, I may just skip the summer clothes this year and dive right into some fallish things!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s