bling a ling

Just in time for Valentine’s Day…let’s talk about a Christmassy project! Because I’m super backlogged like that.

You all know that feeling where you look in your closet and you feel like you don’t have anything to wear, right? That was me at the end of December. (Well, honestly, it’s been me a lot since I started having to purge so many of my handmade clothes out of my wardrobe.) But anyway. My husband and I got invited to a couples’ party between Christmas and New Year’s, and while we were discussing possible babysitting arrangements and such, I realized that I literally had nothing to wear to this party. It’s not like they specified formalwear, but I’ve been so focused on basics, and nursing-friendly tops, and things I could wear to teach in, that I did not own a single thing that would work for a party in the freezing cold dead of winter.

IMG_5651So I decided to do something risky, especially given my usual sewing pace these days (see name of blog): attempt to sew myself a new garment before the night of the party. And I actually did it!

Thankfully, I have one knit TNT left to me after all of my baby-induced sizing changes: the Deer & Doe Plantain top. And I remembered I had a half yard of sequined mesh that was gifted to me during a fellow sewists’ destash. (I’m honestly blanking on who it was, since mommy brain is totally a real thing, so my apologies to the lovely woman who sent it!) I’d paired it off with a piece of this grassy green polyester jersey almost right away, thinking to make it into one of the now out of print Simplicity tops from their Project Runway line. That top never materialized (no pun intended), but I thought I could maybe get the Plantain to work. After a quick Instagram poll to get some suggestions on how best to utilize my precious shinies, in which the consensus was the front of the shirt option, I figured out a way to make it work with the mesh’s 2 way stretch that wasn’t wide enough to cut the front.

IMG_5657So I cut the mesh into wide strips, overlapped them slightly, and used the stretch stitch to sew them into tiers on the front of the jersey. I didn’t bother to hem any of them, as I wanted to avoid drawing attention to the piecing. The result does make me think a little of flapper dresses, but it worked. And I only broke one needle doing it! Then I trimmed the sequins out of the seam allowances, cut a wider strip of the jersey to sew to the bottom so I wouldn’t have to worry about hemming through the sequins (inspired by the Renfrew, though I just cut the piece to measure with no pattern), and got to work.

IMG_5653This was a refreshingly quick sew for me. I think, including the embellishment phase, I got this done in about 4 sittings. The most complicated part was honestly just trying not to catch too many sequins in the seams. I paired it with my one pair of black pants, though they’re a little loose at my current sizing, and it worked out great for the party! The only thing I wish I’d done differently was overlap the mesh a little more around the bust, since the extra curves there do pull it apart to the point where the solid green shows if in don’t carefully arrange the fabric. Oh well, it’s not drastic. And I did get a lot of compliments on it at the party.

So, official last make of 2017 is now in the books! Moving on…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s