Does anyone else feel like the summer just got away from them? How the heck is it the end of August?
I’ve been quiet on the blog front, but I’ve actually been sewing quite a bit, and now have a backlog of about 3 larger projects and some accessories to write about, all DragonCon related in some way or another. So for the most part, I figure that by this point, it’s better to just wait and show them off in the context of their respective costumes. I shouldn’t have any trouble getting some photographs there! But I have been posting little bits here and there on Instagram, so I figured I’d share a few previews.
#1: I refashioned a shirt for an Amy Pond costume (from Doctor Who). The shirt I found was almost perfect in its plaid pattern, but I had to pick off this embroidery. Amy’s way too proud to be Scottish to walk around with a US Polo tag on her shirt.
#2: I made a bag to carry around, too, because I’ve been wanting to make myself a bag to use for carrying on airplanes and day trips with Doug anyway. Also, I had TARDIS fabric, thanks to Doug’s Christmas present to me last year, and wanted to make sure it got used! This is just the flap and a piece of the lining, but hopefully I can get a few decent pics of the bag while I’m there.
#3: One costume I haven’t been able to show any pieces of yet is my minion costume (from Despicable Me). These overall shorts are bloody awful and completely unflattering on me, but they were also the only ones I could find at the local thrift shops that weren’t made for toddlers. And I was NOT going to take the time to sew overalls from scratch. But I did create this patch for the front.
And for my foiled plan: I was actually pretty much done with major costume stuff by last week, so I decided to see if I could squeeze out a project that would work for both the Sewcialists’ Tribute Month and The Monthly Stitch’s birthday “cake” month. My plan was to convert the Cake Patterns Red Velvet into a tunic top that I could wear with my skinny jeans. I still think the idea has merit, but after I traced the pattern pieces out, I discovered that the knit I intended for the bodice is too narrow, by a lot if I wanted to have any chance of matching the stripes. So I guess I’ll have to use this piece for something more sleeveless. That idea’s been put on the shelf for now, though I may revisit it with some of my knit stash when I feel less crunched for time.
For now, I’m in the middle of knocking out a Sorbetto that I’d had on my original summer sewing list anyway, so I can add that to my list of clothes to take to Paris. (I need to get on that!) And I also need to start working on my next big project pretty much right away, because a winter coat could take awhile, especially given that I’ll be away a good chunk of September. But DragonCon is only two days away now, and so I need to finish packing! After work, anyway.