The shower was over the weekend, so I can finally show the related sewing projects!
As I said before, these were for my friend Nicole–she’s the one real life friend I have who occasionally sews, so I knew she’d appreciate it! Though we probably won’t be sewing together again, since she moved to Boston to be closer to her fiance and will be staying there after her wedding. I’ll miss her, but I am happy for her!
I like to run with a small theme for wedding gifts, even when I’m buying straight off the registry, and this one was no exception. She’d asked for Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and the cover was so pretty, I couldn’t resist! And I already knew I wanted to make her an apron, since one of our last fun sewing adventures together was making Anthropologie-inspired aprons. The apron she made for that was actually a wedding gift for one of her friends, and I thought she should have one herself. So I went with the same apron inspiration she’d chosen, the Tea & Crumpets apron. (Since this one’s on sale, I doubt I saved any money–but I’ve always felt that white is very impractical for an apron that one wears while actually cooking, unless you’re a professional chef who isn’t as sloppy with the tomato sauce! Plus I was guessing at what colors she might actually have in her kitchen, based on her registry and Pinterest boards.) This cute bee fabric jumped out at me immediately, but it was really hard to find something that matches it! I’m really grateful that my quilter mom went along to help me out.
I drafted most of the pattern myself, based on an apron that I’d been given at my own shower. But I did borrow the pocket from the Cake Pavlova skirt, because it looked like a perfect match! And since I have one or two of these skirts in mind for some stashbusting, it was good to have a chance to practice the pattern a bit.
The other thing I made was this set of placemats. To continue the French theme, we found this fabric with French lettering on it. But the one I really fell in love with was the bicycle fabric, because it just seemed so perfect for her. And it really did end up being perfect, because her grand entrance to her shower, which we held outside, was riding in on her bicycle! I will admit that my mom did help me finish these up, since I was running out of time and needed to do one side of the binding by hand. I will also admit that the corners are not nearly as nice as the ones that my mom usually makes, because I completely forgot her instructions for them. I guess I’ll have to consult with her on that later, because I’m sure I’ll be making some more placemats at some point, if only so we have another set. (Mom made me some for my own bridal shower.)
She was really excited about it, as were most of the people at the shower–I got a lot of compliments on my sewing skills! (Especially once someone asked me if I’d made the dress I was wearing, too.) I’m not quite done sewing for her yet, as this week’s project is altering her wedding dress! Which, thankfully, will be a relatively easy job. The dress fits her perfectly in the bodice, so all I have to do is hem it. Of course, it’s also 3 layers, the inner lining is silk charmeuse, and the outer layer is silk chiffon! My plan is to just do a narrow machine hem on the charmeuse and the outer lining. I may hand-stitch the chiffon, though, since it’s a little crinkly and I don’t want it to go all lettuce-y on me.
I’m also pretty close to finishing my Sewcial Bee dress. I’d like to reinforce the midriff, since the serged stitches were pulling a bit when I put it on Donna to let the hem hang. I also need to figure out exactly how I want to hem it–I don’t want to just leave it raw, because it’s a pretty thin jersey and I suspect it might develop some runs if I do that. But if all goes well, I’ll have both of these dresses done in time for Pantsapalooza!