Another batch of wedding crafts

What I’ve been up to lately:
IMG_0552#1: That tie I’ve mentioned a couple of times. I’m going to be honest and say that I’m not 100% happy with the way it turned out–the poly satin didn’t press well at all, and the interfacing made it just too stiff overall. If I was going to go back and do it over again with this fabric, I’d just leave the interfacing out entirely! I also had trouble getting the much lighter lining fabric to lie flat in the tie. But after all of that drama involved in finding solid emerald green fabric in the first place, I didn’t have too many options. I’m fully expecting he’ll never wear it again after the wedding day, but I guess I can chalk this up to a learning experience.

IMG_0551Incidentally, this is also a sneak peek of the shirt I recently finished–I just haven’t had a chance to take a decent outfit photo of it yet, but since I’m planning on taking it on the honeymoon, I’ll see if I can get a shot or two of it there!

#2: This one’s been a few months in the making. These are the table numbers for the reception, with some cheery paper sunflowers glued to one corner of each side. I can’t take full credit for this, as I had help from my mom, my maid of honor, and even my fiance! The punches were ridiculously hard to push through the paper, so he punched every single petal of these out for me. I definitely found a keeper!
flower closeup
I zoomed in and lightened it up so you could see a little more detail on these. I was amazed at how realistic they look! And it was a lot of work, but these are so much lighter than silk flowers, so I think the effect is well worth it.

To give credit where it’s due, I got the idea from the punch manufacturer–found these while searching for sunflower wedding picture ideas early in the process. I have several of these leftover, and they’ll be used to decorate various baskets for bubbles and our guest “book”. (Which is actually quilt squares that my mom is going to sew together for us.)

IMG_0553#3: The centerpieces are finally done! My incredibly awesome maid of honor gets serious props for helping me with both steps of this–we painted all of the flowerpots, and she helped me assemble them this past Saturday while we and my fiance watched the season finale for Doctor Who.  We ended up painting several more pots than we needed to, because I didn’t know until after we did it that some of the tables at the reception place could seat up to 12–I’d been under the impression that all of the tables would seat up to 8 people, and was planning for about 18 centerpieces. My math must have been off somewhere, though, because if I’d had to make that many, I wouldn’t have had enough sunflowers!

IMG_0554

Here’s a better view of the pots–we decided partway through that it reminds us of the 1-up mushrooms from all of the Mario Nintendo games, so I can’t help thinking of that now! I’m going to recycle a good bit of this after the wedding–I plan to make a wreath for the kitchen with the flowers (also doing sunflowers in there), and I have some herbs to plant in the pots. I just need to figure out what to do with a bunch of white candles!

This isn’t the last of it, I still have a few more crafts to do, and less than 3 weeks to finish them in! So I guess I’d better get back to work!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Another batch of wedding crafts

  1. The decorations look great!

    I always thought that filling a fireplace with decorative gravel and a bunch of pillar candles would be really fun. (I had actually planned to do that before I got fireplace glass instead.)

    ~ Brooke

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s