Progress so far: I finished cutting out the lining, and got the flannel basted onto all of the lining pieces.
Cutting on the floor definitely has its hazards.
But look, I had enough of the blue left to cut out a shirt, too! (Hey, beats putting the fabric away and letting it sit for several more years, right?)
I knew going into this that the coat was going to take awhile. Mainly due to the seam sealer stuff. So, since the Burda magazine instructions are famously hard to follow anyway, I figured I’ll just completely mix up the order to try and minimize the seam sealer applications. So here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
1. Sew the pocket flaps, the front yoke pieces, the collar pieces, and the center back/pleat pieces together. Waterproof. (Done.)
2. Flip and topstitch said pocket flaps/front yoke/collar pieces; sew back to back yoke. Waterproof. (Done as far as I could, since I was having some difficulty with getting the waterproofing inside the pieces, mostly due to it getting all over my hands when trying to get it out of the bag. You’re supposed to store it in the freezer between uses, and since I didn’t know how to clean out the brush applicator, it got all over the tube instead. I’m also beginning to question whether one tube of the seam sealer is going to be enough…)
3. Make the buttonholes in the pocket flaps and front yoke; make belt carrier loops/tubes for belt and sleeve bits/sew sleeve pieces together. Waterproof.
4. Sew the pocket flaps to the front of the coat, follow their instructions as best as I can figure to get the front and side front/pocket pieces together. Also, side/shoulder seams. Turn and topstitch belt loops/ belt stuff. Waterproof.
5. Add in the sleeves. Sew on the belt loops. And possibly some other parts before waterproofing again.
Now this is where it gets a little tricky, because I’m not quite sure what the best way to work the lining/self-faced front opening is with the collar. Especially since the front is pretty much self-faced. (And interfaced, though what I may do with that is just chop up some of the flannel I used to test it. I mean, it’s in the right shape anyway…. I just can’t baste it or fuse it on, so I’ll have to figure out the best way to hold it in place.) At this point, I’m thinking that I’ll just leave the back pleat area open for turning purposes, so it’ll be easier to do the hemming. And then just figure out what to do to deal with the pleat itself later. I can always hand-stitch something in if I need to.
No sewing for me today– I’m going to take advantage of that table being somewhat cleaned off to trace some patterns out! I’m hoping to have time to get through two jackets. And that blouse pattern from the BurdaStyle book. I have plans…