It seems to be becoming my standard thing for wedding showers to make an apron for the bride-to-be. Once again, I used the BurdaStyle Layla pattern, but with a few additional modifications from the last two versions. This one is for my friend Kristy, who is one of my oldest friends (we’ve known each other since, oh, kindergarten) and is getting married in October to a mutual college friend that she reconnected with last year. Since she’s been living on her own for awhile, unlike the last two brides I made aprons for, there wasn’t really a whole lot of stuff on her registry to pick from. So I made the apron to supplement something for the kitchen that I picked off of her registry.
This time, instead of hemming all of the edges, I wrapped them in bias binding. (In retrospect, I probably should have trimmed the seam allowances first to make this a bit smaller, since she is also more petite than I am. But hey, it’ll definitely protect her clothes!) I also made two ties for the neck instead of one, so she could adjust it to her liking.
The third change I made was to make two pockets instead of the one central pocket. Also edged in bias binding. I think it suits the print nicely! (Which I couldn’t resist, because she has a cherry theme in her current kitchen. And since the colors she and her fiance were picking for the kitchen stuff are still kind of along those lines, I figured that this would go. And if she changes up the curtains and stuff, she still gets to keep a bit of her old kitchen theme.)
I still have a little less than a yard left of the cherry fabric, so if I have time this week, I’d like to make her some matching potholders or something. The shower’s on Saturday, so I’m on a bit of a time crunch. We’ll see how it goes.
I also got some knitting done over the weekend– went back to my aunt’s beach house for a night to hang out with my brother and sis-in-law for her birthday, and I brought my knitting with me. So I’ve got about 50 rows of mindless knit 2 purl 2 left before the back is done. I’m hoping I can knock that out pretty quickly! Especially since I already have my next big project lined up– I’m joining in the Newbie and the Knitter knitalong that’s starting up in September. I mean, what better way to figure out that sweater knitting thing than with other people, right? The planned project is the Cadence pullover from Knitty.com. I’m personally planning on lengthening the sleeves to full-length if I can, because I get cold so easily that 3/4 sleeved sweaters are kind of pointless for me. And I guess I got excited, because I ended up getting my yarn for it yesterday while I was at Joann’s to get a better matching thread for the apron (and that Vogue pattern I wanted!)
It’s a super-soft acrylic/alpaca blend in this “persimmon” color. I used to have a rather strong dislike for orange, mainly due to this nasty carpet from the 70s that was on my bedroom floor for the first several years of my life. It’s grown on me in the last couple of years, though. And it’s not quite as pumpkiny as it looks in this picture–it’s a cooler orange, if that makes sense. Once I get to mid-January or February or so, I always start craving color in my wardrobe to offset the super-blah weather. And since I tend to go for sweaters more than anything when I’m cold, this seemed to be just the thing! Hopefully I’ve got enough yarn…. I bought out the entire pile that Joann’s had, and if my estimate is right, I have more than the pattern calls for. But then, you see how well that went for my current knit!