I finished this on Saturday night, but it feels like the last 72 or so hours have been so virtually non-stop that I haven’t had a chance to post until now.
Anyway, this is my new circular knitting needle case. Which I made completely on the fly without a pattern, and since I was in a hurry, I ended up going about the binding in this completely illogical way– I did this “book” style with a couple of different pages, and ended up stitching it down the center before I put the binding on. Or even the cover. So the much more intelligent way to do it would have been to do the binding and then sew it together, but I didn’t realize that until after the center stitching was done. And I didn’t want to bother with ripping it out, since this silky polyester stuff is not the most seam-ripper friendly stuff.
I think the button adds a really cute touch! This was actually recycled from one of my favorite high school creations– I had this chambray shirtdress that had these little embroidered sunflowers all over it, and these were the buttons. I used to wear that thing so much–well into college, I think. I finally had to let it go since it was getting kind of worn out (and kind of little kiddish for a 20-something), but I kept the buttons. So one down, and now I just have to figure out what to do with the 5 or so I have left.
And here’s what it looks like inside–the minty satin is also leftover from that flowery peasant top, but I left the shiny side out this time. (I used the wrong side for the shirt because I wanted more of that matte finish.) When they’re fully in the pockets, the cables don’t actually stick up quite this far. In fact, there’s nearly 3″ left at the top, so I think this will also hold any needles with longer cables that I may procure in the future. (All of these are 16″.) It’s hard to see, but I also wrote the needle size in the lower right-hand corner of each pocket compartment with a Sharpie.
I could have made this so much better–it certainly looks very homemade, and not in the best of ways. But it’s functional, and I think the fabric at least makes it pretty. And I didn’t really want to spend a whole lot of time on this anyway, because I have a dress to make! I got most of the pieces for the dress that I’m making for my mom to wear to my cousin’s April wedding cut out yesterday. No time to sew today, but maybe I can get some of the prepwork done tomorrow. I don’t think this will be a terribly time-consuming project, especially since I need to make this in a way that it can be fairly easily reconstructed (my mom doesn’t really wear dresses–the last time she wore one was to my brother’s wedding, and so she’s giving me the dress to remake for myself once the wedding’s over. Fortunately, our sizes are pretty close.)
I also have some Me-Made-March stuff to post, but that’s going to have to wait, as I’ve got some away-from-home teaching to go to. And then some time to kill in town, which I think I’m going to spend reading at the library, before dinner with some of my closest high school friends that I’m still in touch with. (My best friend from back then is in town with her family for a few days. I got to spend the morning with her, her mom and her two adorable kids, too, which I really enjoyed.) I’ll catch up on MMM later…it’ll still be here when I have time to actually write posts for it again. I think.