Though, technically speaking, I made this one on Sunday/Tuesday. Just didn’t take the pictures till today. But it’s still Wednesday, so it counts!
Anywhoo..so I have this birthday thing coming up on Saturday. The big 3-0. And to be honest, I haven’t really been looking forward to it. The last several years have been kind of rough on a personal level, and there’s so many things that I wish had happened in my life by this point that didn’t. Sometimes it’s really hard not to let that bum me out. But I do have some really great friends and family who are ensuring that pretty much every moment of my weekend is filled with fun things, so I should have a good time. One of the events is that several of my closest friends are taking me out for dinner in Philadelphia (a pretty big deal, since it’s about an hour away when traffic is good for some of us.) And so of course I wanted something new to wear. Or at least new to me. (Prepare to be bombarded with pictures.)
I had this slinky polyester wrap-type dress I picked up awhile back on one of my thrifting excursions. I liked the print. And the colors. But it was pretty much unwearable as is, because this thing was huuuuuge on me. You can’t really tell so much in this picture, except for extreme bagginess in the armpit area…
So how’s this, now that the wrap is undone? Toga party, anyone?
Plus it had this ridiculously long tie on one side–after several attempts, I still couldn’t figure out how it was supposed to work with the 3-times-as-short second tie. Because wrapping it around a couple times just didn’t seem to cut it.
One last before shot on my dummy, so you can get an idea of the bagginess of this thing.
I ended up taking it in several inches on both sides–the construction looked fairly simple, since it was one seam up the sleeves and down the side. I managed to work it so that I could keep the original sleeve hem intact, with perhaps just a slight bit of flaring. That’s ok. I like flared sleeves. But here you can get an idea of just how much I had to take it in. Of course, it ended up being more challenging than I thought, mainly due to the mock wrap section. I ended up sewing it in wrong the first time, and the dress was hopelessly twisted when I tried to turn it right-side out! So I had to rip that part of it out and resew that side.
I also ended up chopping off a significant portion of that extra-long tie (which happens to be the perfect length for a skinny headband!), and about 8″ from the hem. I don’t know where dinner is going to be (they won’t tell me), but my best friend said nice top and nice pants, so I wanted more of a tunic-style thing. I’d get more wear out of that than a dress anyway. So here’s what I ended up with:
So there you have it–a tunic that looks not very different at all from the original dress! But I’m sure it will fit me much better. No pictures of it on me yet, of course, but hopefully I will have some after Saturday. So I can update this post with pics later if people want.