Finished it up on Sunday morning, technically…I had to hand-sew the bindings on, and had one left to go when I got home from a friend’s party around 12:45 in the morning. So I finished it up before I went to bed because I already had the outfit planned around it for church in the morning! So here’s the pattern review.
Pattern: #102 from the June 2009 issue of Burda.
Pattern Description: A pleated knit shirt with waistband, v-neck, and 2-piece raglan sleeves.
Pattern Sizing: Burda sizes 36-44. Mine is 38.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Mostly. (Judge for yourself.)
Were the instructions easy to follow? Honestly, I kind of disregarded much of the instructions– I did most of the construction on serger and did things in a different order to make it work with that kind of seaming. And I pretty much ignored the instructions on their pleats entirely, since I stitched them completely down. (On the plus side, this made it easier to follow than Burda instructions usually are!)
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the styling of it, and I think it looks pretty flattering on me. No particular dislikes.
Fabric Used: An organic cotton knit from JoAnn’s.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Besides a couple of fitting tweaks: I raised the neckline a bit, I took the magazine’s suggestion of topstitching the pleats down (when I tested it without, it looked so balloony and awful on non-flat-chested me). The major one was that I left the front lining off entirely– I think it was fine without it, and it just would have added extra bulk and thickness that I wouldn’t want in the summer months. I also added bindings to the sleeve edges, but that was to cover my own mistake of forgetting to add hem allowance instead of just seam allowance. 😉
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I’ll be sewing this at least one more time, since I like the fabric I used for my basted-together test version. But I’ll probably modify it somewhat in the front detailing so it’s not identical. I would recommend it for an atypical t-shirt pattern.
Conclusion: Overall, I liked this one very much. (And I’m very glad that I took the Pattern Review knits class first! )
And since I liked the outfit that I put together yesterday, showing that off too. I was really happy to find out that the new shirt goes very well with my sunflower skirt that I made last summer. I wore that with a pendant that’s usually on a chain (but I stuck it on a wire choker for this time since it fit the neckline better), and the denim jacket that I just picked up last week. (Even though yesterday was actually pretty nice, and I was able to wear the shirt without it in the afternoon, my church is always cold!) Also wore it with silver flat shoes.
So what do you think? Is that wardrobe project research paying off? 😉
Trying to figure out what to make next…I’m thinking that since it’s all cut out and still on my machine, I should probably do the green shirt that I tested this pattern with first. Though I’d like to figure out something a bit different to do with the pleated part so it’s not an identical shirt in a different shade of green! I have some ideas in mind, and am probably going to do some research on Anthropologie to get some other possible ideas. I’m thinking perhaps this black skirt will be next on the menu after that, just because it’ll go with lots of stuff. And it’ll remind me that Butda magazine has some good stuff, since I got the new issue today and so far, frankly, I’m kind of bored.
I also finished a necklace last night, but still need to make the earrings to go with. So expect another post before too long.