Anyway, this first one is a pair of pajamas from some piratey knit fabric I found on the clearance rack at Joann’s. The skull applique was hand-stitched on the front, and the design was taken directly from the fabric (thus the reason the pirate skull looks oddly happy and friendly). I do have a rather significant amount of this fabric left, so I’m trying to decide what to do with it. Maybe a hoodie… I’m not sure.
This is another pair of pajama shorts– I decided this summer that I was tired of juniors’ sized pajamas that were all far shorter than I feel comfortable walking around the house in, so this was my attempt to fix that. This fabric seriously reminds me of Pepperland. I need a Yellow Submarine shirt to go with.
I get cold insanely easily, and given my propensity to make strappy sleeveless things, a cover-up or two was in order. This is from a textured cotton-type fabric and Simplicity 4334. It was a very easy pattern to make and I really like the fit of the shrug, so I could definitely see myself using it again. Though maybe lengthening the sleeves to a 3/4 would be nice.
I did end up having to not follow the directions exactly, because it would have left the seams for setting in the sleeves exposed in the lining and I didn’t want that. So I had to hand-stitch the lining closed for both of those seams. I also understitched the lining in order to get a cleaner seam.
And I do have a lot of this fabric left over too, but this time there’s an actual reason and not just my bad estimation skills. I just don’t think I’ll get that one done in time that I can actually wear it before it gets cold. 😦
I’d gotten this fabric to make capris last summer (I’ll admit it– I like paisley) but didn’t get around to it until this summer. Typical. Honestly, I haven’t actually worn these yet. For one thing, I can’t seem to find the ribbon I’d gotten to use as the drawstring, though I have a vague idea of where it is (just no time to look because I’m on a sewing deadline.) The other thing is, I’m seriously wondering if it looks too upholstery-ish.
Let me tell you the story of this bedspread. It took me somewhere around ten years to finish. Literally. I started it back when I was in high school, cutting the squares from a bunch of my family’s worn-out jeans (you can tell that most of them were from the early ’90s just by the wash!) and starting to sew them together. Until I got bored with sewing squares.
And then I went to college and got sidetracked by everything that goes with it (though I still found plenty of time to sew things that weren’t squares).
One year after finishing my masters’, it’s done and on my bed. Currently serving as a bedspread in order to protect the quilts my mom made me, since my computer is right next to my bed and as a result, I end up eating a lot of meals sitting on my bed while working on things. You have no idea what a relief it is to finally be done with this silly thing!
In other news, I did manage to get one sleeve almost sewn together for C’s Renaissance Faire costume tonight. These sleeves are crazy. And I’m still trying to figure out just how exactly I’m going to get the points to meet, since I didn’t realize when buying the economy trim-by-the-spool that there was actually a reason the pattern called for a specific type of (far more expensive) trim and that was to help finish the seams. So I’m essentially sewing it like the alternate view, but not using the frog closures so it’ll look more like the first.